Hot Posts

6/recent/ticker-posts

BTS’ RM GETS DEEP INTO WHY LIFE IS ONE LONG CONTINUOUS STROKE OF ART AND WHY HE’S JUST A 27 YEAR OLD KOREAN

              

What is ART really? Who can define what ART is? Who can write what ART is? And where can you find this ART? I believe ART is life, death, a moment, one moment, a chord in music, a whisper in the wind, a touch of the skin, a feeling, a lust, a nod, a tear that comes without cause. ART speaks, listens, decides, creates, breaks, ART is ART. BTS is ART. The beauty of music is in the joy that comes to your soul when you listen to it, the craft of music is when it becomes an endangered species if you do not listen to it and the purpose of music is not to explain but to let your mind wonder until it is found within your inner most secret place that you are afraid to reveal to the world.

ART in music is when the instruments and the voice and the beat and the emotions all intertwine and speak as one. BTS creates ART in music. The melody, the song, the words, spring so effortlessly that you can miss it if your mind is cluttered or filled with fog from the prejudices of life, experiences of the mind or realities of the heart. Every lyric in BTS music has a purpose and a need to be heard by all senses, felt by every emotion and seen by the inner eye of the soul.

I love Art and I love that RM enjoys moments where he gets to be in touch with nature because sometimes in life you need to separate yourself from reality, just to breath that scent of freshly cut grass that you have not experienced in a while, or taste the smell of the first rain falling on a dusty road , or feel that pollen of a newly bloomed flower, just, take a pause and breath. BTS’ music feels like that, a breath, of tantalizing air, artistically woven into simplified love. In BTS’ online publication “Weverse Magazine” we get to experience RM’s most vulnerable side as he talks about the things that worry him most and his hopes for BTS music for future generations.


Interviewer: “What effect do you think that type of experience has on your music? You didn’t compose any of the songs but instead participated in writing the lyrics to all of the tracks. Did that experience affect your lyric writing in any way?”

RM: I think it’s helped me develop a way of thinking using all the senses. I used to be attuned to speech and focus on language and auditory textures, but now I can look at my thoughts from many different angles. That’s why I spend more time studying art now. I’m waiting for the day that it all comes to the surface, like when you paint the base on a canvas over and over so the colors pop. It’s hard to answer in one word if it has a direct influence on my work, but I think people who create music develop a way of seeing the world through their personal experience and their creative process. Painters naturally exhibit their art over a very long period of time. I think it gave me an eye for looking at the world in one long, continuous stroke. So now it’s become a little challenging for me to write lyrics these days. I’ve become more cautious.

Weverse

Interviewer: “And what about you, as one individual person?”

RM: I’m a real Korean person. (laughs) A person who wants to do something in Korea. I think millennials are charging into society stuck between the analog and digital generations, and what I chose is BTS. So I try to integrate myself into our generation, try to understand what people like me are thinking, and try to work hard to capture that feeling without being a burden on them. This might be another kind of irony itself, but this is who I am. I’m a 27-year-old Korean. That’s what I think.


Interviewer: “It’s well known that you like art and frequent exhibitions, but how do you feel when you look at art in your home or another space where there are no people, like in the album art?”

RM: Someone said, “You don’t have to buy this painting; it’s yours so long as you’re looking at it.” That’s my favorite sound bite these days. What I most envied about painters was that, even after they died, their work would be hanging up somewhere, maybe even in another country, still defining that space. Musicians leave behind their songs and videos, too, but it’s only through fine art that viewers in the future are able to completely meet artists from the past. I’m envious that this is only possible for painters. These days I’m trying to find spaces where I can have more relaxed viewing experiences.

Read full article HERE.

Post a Comment

0 Comments